Sunday, June 22, 2014

One Year Later



Oh My Goodness. It has been over a month since my last post. The summer is flying by and we have been so busy. So much to blog about, just no time to sit down and upload the 500 or so make that 626 pictures off my camera and take the time to write about it. So I will catch y'all up on our summer adventures thus far-it'll just be in reverse order. However, I would be remiss if I did not take a moment to recognize today for what it is. One year ago today, on June 22, 2013, we arrived from our week long move/road trip across the good 'ol USA and first set foot on West Virginia soil.  We were curious and intrigued by the heavily forested green rolling hills of the Mountain State and we set out to do some exploring and haven't stopped since.

And? Our first year was exactly what you might imagine it to be for a bunch of lifelong Texans transplanted in a brand new state. There were lots of adventures, seeing new things, getting acquainted with a new city, meeting new people. Most of it was good… But I'd be a liar if I didn't admit that some days were hard: the realization that we are SO far from Texas and friends and family. The family and friends that have been there for years that you share good times and bad times and life milestones with. Some days we most of us were homesick, mopey and sad. And those days sucked. You look out across the rolling hills and mountains and realize that Texas is a long way from here and you can't just hop in a car and drive home and be there in a couple of hours.


As the months have rolled by, we have met many nice folks, and over time, have built a rapport and befriended many people in our new community. It doesn't happen over night, but as you become immersed in your new community, you somehow find your niche, and new friendships are made. So while we will always miss our family and friends back home in Texas and treasure our time together when we travel back to visit, we also appreciate the opportunity and blessing of creating new friendships in this chapter in our lives.

A year ago I started documenting our adventures when we moved across the country. I sent out mass emails to friends and family as a way to stay connected with everyone and share our stories. Only recently have I taken it to the next step and created an official blog, so our first stories and experiences are not archived in the blog yet. So, in recognition of our first anniversary here in WV, each day this week, I will upload my stories and photos from last year's move up and share it with you.

Stay tuned for entertaining tales and Lost Texan adventures!

1 comment:

  1. Can't wait for your pictures and stories! I always love reading about them.
    Love & hugs,
    Michelle

    ReplyDelete